Task 9 - Review in my blog

Well its crunch time and by crunch time, I mean time to review my experience with the class wiki and the awesomeness of this blog.

As a first time wiki editor/blogger, this was quite the experience. I really liked using both and as with everything they each come with the their strengths and weakness'.

Class Wiki:

From a library perspective, this was a great tool for internal information sharing. Wiki gives library staff the ability to update and add pages to the wiki as more information becomes available, effectively making this a live document. Which poses its own risks as well - information could become lost or inaccurate.

Blog:

This was surprisingly user friendly given my no experience. With the above comments on the Wiki, I think that having a library blog might be a useful tool for communicating with the public but could also be used for internal communication/information gathering. That being said, I think Wiki is a better tool for internal use. The blog could contain information about the library programs and events as well as "bios" of staff members to put a more human aspect on things.

I feel that the best social media for a library to use is the more common platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Facebook in particular is a great way to engage with the public, host events and provide information about the library. Instagram and Twitter are also good for extra coverage with people that might not necessarily use Facebook as much.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts