Task 6 - Social Networking Site

As I have a Facebook account already, I decided to go with that rather than attempt to make a new account. A part of this task we had to update our status. Yes that's right I was playing with Facebook on class time:



Now what's next, oh yes, the search for an "interesting" social media site. The easiest way to find a social media site is to search for "social media" yes? I found an assortment of pages using this search option including:
  • Practical Social Media: while I am sure that this provides very good knowledge, some might even say practical knowledge, the profile picture just do it for me. Part of social media is engaging your audience, this does not engage me to even click on the page. Pass
  • Social Media: well I guess this is what I asked for. With 13K likes and no scary photo of some random dude, I actually clicked on this page. Kudos to them for making posts in different languages to try and reach a wider audience...but I wasn't all that interested in hanging around to find out more
  • SocialStory: seems to be focused on social issues in India? This had some interesting stories but still I searched for more
  • Social Media Week: this is a page explores how social media and technology change business, society and culture. This seems the perfect page!


I actually enjoyed the experience of searching for an interesting social media page, despite the scary man photo. I have now found that there are different social media pages about, you guessed it, social media. Shocking, I know. 

Again you ask, how could this be used in a library? Facebook is the one of big players in the social media world. It brings people together, even people you went to school with a million years ago and didn't like then but get to stalk now. On a serious note, Facebook can be used to provide information about the library and different events that might be happening. It can also be used to engage people and encourage active participation between library staff and the public. 




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts